Congratulations are in order! You are getting married. This is a special time in your life and it can be overwhelming. Don't let it be. Remember, that the day you get married is about the two of you. Not anything else. Here are some planning tips that will help your planning process run smoothly.
01. Choose a Date - Have several dates in mind. The reason that you want to do this is to ensure that the church or location you are going to have your ceremony at is available. You also want to make sure that the venue that you have chosen is open on the same day. If you have several dates that you are willing to consider it will make it easier for your plans to fall into place. Research each location. The location will set the mood of your event.
02. Budget - You need to decide how much you want to spend on your special day. Be realistic on what you can afford. If you set a budget it will be easier for the vendors you are considering to guide you in the right direction.
03. Guest List - The guest list is an important part of planning your event. This will determine what location you can have the ceremony and reception. Remember 65-70% of the invited guest will actually attend the wedding. You do not want to choose a venue that only accommodates 100 people and you are planning on having 150. The estimated guest count will also guide the caterer in planning a menu that fits not just your taste buds, but your budget.
04. Theme - Decide if you want to have a themed wedding. For example "Night in Paris" or "Little Italy". The theme can help determine décor, food, or even serving style.
05. Color - Decide on colors. The color can play through the entire event from ceremony to reception.
06. Interview your Vendors - Once you have a date and location start interviewing potential vendors. The most important thing you need to remember when choosing a vendor is if they are reliable. Ask them key questions: How long have you been in business? Don't forget the "what if" questions: What if you get sick? What if you have a fire? The second most important aspect to consider when choosing a vendor is if you are comfortable with the company. A company might have the greatest history but if you are not comfortable with a company then you shouldn't do business with them. The wedding process is long and you want to make sure they can handle any situation that may arise.
07. Hire Your Vendor - When you have found the vendor that meets your needs do not hesitate to hire them. Every vendor has different methods of booking. Most will require a reservation fee of some sort.
08. Breathe - The hard part is over. You have chosen the love of your life, the day, the location, and the vendors you love.
09. Keep in Touch - Don't hesitate to call any of your vendors if questions arise during the planning process. Typically, vendors would like to set a meeting up 30 days prior to the wedding to refresh their memories and make sure that everything is perfect for your big day. They may require payment, final count on guests, or final linen selection.
10. Get Married - Enjoy the big day. Remember, it is about the two of you uniting to become one. Enjoy your family and friends.